- PhD in History, University of Southampton (2019)
- M.A. in Medieval Studies, University of York (2006)
- B.A. in History (Theatre Minor), Salem State College (2004)
HONOURS & AWARDS
- 2018-Present: Visiting Academic, University of Southampton
- 2015-2018: Arms & Armour Heritage Trust Studentship
- 2000-2004: Presidential Merit Scholarship
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
- Cambridge Centre for Adult Education
Course Teacher – Introduction to European Arms and Armour (Winter 2014)
- Synthesys Strategic Consulting
Consultant (July 2012)
Commissioned to undertake research and analysis for a London-based strategy/policy project that contributed to The Global Cyber Game, published jointly by the UK Ministry of Defence and the Defence Academy of the United Kingdom.
- Royal Armouries: H.M. Tower of London
Curator of Tower Collections (2010-2011)
- Royal Armouries: Leeds, UK
Curatorial Assistant – Edged Weapons (2008-2010)
- Rebel Shakespeare Company, Salem, MA
Fight Choreographer (Summer 2004)
- Autumn Tree Productions, Boston, MA
Actor-Combatant/Fight Choreographer (2001-2004)
I choreographed and performed staged fight shows for several regional festivals and events, including the Vermont Renaissance Festival and the Connecticut Renaissance Faire. I also assisted in delivering training workshops for new cast members, both youths and adults.
- New England Pirate Museum/Witch History Museum, Salem, MA
Museum Guide (2001-2004)
- Higgins Armory Museum, Worcester, MA
Gallery Interpreter/Museum Teacher (2000-2002)
- Various US and UK Schools
Freelance Historical Presenter (1998-2005)
I created and presented historical talks and demonstrations for primary and secondary school groups. Clients included Millbury, Salem, and Dudley public schools in Massachusetts, and the Minster School in York, UK.
- Re-display of the Line of Kings. HM Tower of London (initial concept team).
- Re-display of the White Tower Basement. HM Tower of London, (design/project team, object selection, and panel text).
- ‘Power House’. HM Tower of London, opened April 2011 and now a permanent exhibition in the White Tower (object selection, panel text, and installation).
- Treasures of the Royal Armouries. HM Tower of London, opened April 2010 and now a permanent exhibition in the White Tower (panel text).
- ‘Fit for a King’. HM Tower of London, opened April 2010 (panel text).
- ‘Tower Tales and Traitors’. Royal Armouries: Leeds, July – November 2009 (object selection and panel text).
- ‘Henry VIII: Dressed to Kill’. HM Tower of London, April 2009-January 2010 (panel text).
- ‘The Royal Armouries Costumiers’. Royal Armouries: Leeds.
PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS
- ‘Depictions of Combat in Medieval Art: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly’, International Medieval Congress, Leeds, UK, July 2016.
- ‘Extant Damage on Late Medieval Edged Weapons and Armours: Initial Findings and Interpretations’, International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, MI, May 2016.
- ‘An Introduction to Armour’ Seminar, Historic Royal Palaces Summer School, HM Tower of London, July 2011.
- ‘Swordplay in Europe’ Seminar, Historic Royal Palaces Summer School, HM Tower of London, July 2011.
- ‘Magic Swords in Early Modern Europe: The Inscriptions 1414 and 1441 on Sword Blades’ Swords and the Culture of Early Modern Swordplay conference, University of Sussex, May 2011.
- ‘The Royal Armouries: From London to Leeds’ Leeds Public Library, August 2010.
- ‘The Scholar-Practitioner: Towards a Balanced Study of Medieval Swordplay’ International Medieval Congress, Leeds, UK, July 2010.
- ‘Duelling Weapons’ Seminar, Royal Armouries: Leeds, May 2010.
- ‘Only Water Between’: A talk and dramatic reading of a series of WWI letters (part of 3-person ensemble), Edinburgh Fringe Festival and Edinburgh Castle, August 2009.
- ‘A History of the Mafia’ Gallery Talk, Royal Armouries: Leeds, July 2009.
- ‘Real Men Read Poetry: Instructional Verse in 14th Century Fight Manuals’ International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, MI, May 2009.
- ‘Weapons of Nelson’s Navy’ Wellington Weekend, Royal Armouries: Leeds, March 2009.
- ‘Flashman’s Duels’ Seminar: Flashman, Royal Armouries: Leeds,November 2008.
- ‘Salle and Screen: Swordplay in the Movies’ Gallery Talk, Royal Armouries Museum: Leeds, September 2008.
- ‘The Terminology of Medieval English Fight Texts: A Brief Overview’ International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, MI, May 2007.
CONSULTANCIES, MEDIA APPEARANCES, ETC.
- 2012: Consultant/Member, ETHOS Network “Rebuilding Lives” Project.
- 2012: NBC 2012 Olympic Games coverage at Tower of London.
- 2011: CBS Early Show coverage of the Royal Wedding.
- 2010: History Channel. Mud Men: Georgian Gentlemen.
- 2010: 1599 Productions. 1599: A True Story of the Elizabethan Court (DVD).
- 2010: BBC Radio 4. Pistols at Dawn.
- 2009: Weapons of War, by Rupert Matthews. Consulted for accuracy.
- 2004: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest. Consulted for means of lighting a pipe at sea in 18th century (uncredited).
- 2003: PAX TV: New England Lifestyles. Interviewed at New England Pirate Museum.